National mineral policy
The Greek State’s principal policy regarding mineral raw materials is declared in article 106, paragraph 1, of the Greek Constitution of 2008: “Mineral raw materials are considered to be sources of national wealth and hence the State shall, for the sake of the public interest, take measures for their utilization, promoting regional development and particularly for the enhancement of the economy in mountainous, insular and border areas”. The National Policy (NP) for the strategic planning and exploitation of the mineral resources, announced in 2012, acknowledges the importance of the Mineral Raw Materials (MRM) that contribute to progress and development, ensure a high living standard and create a competitive national and regional economy and new job positions.
The main axes of the NP are:
- The national policy about the Mineral Resources as a basic component of the national and regional development policy of the Country.
- Adequate land-use planning that shall ensure the possibility of access to the MRM deposits and contribute to the resolution of issues related to the competition of different land uses.
- Codification and modernization of the quarry/mining legislation (licensing system, exploration and exploitation, H&S control, environmental issues etc.
- Promotion of dialogue – Acceptance by the local society.
- Education-Research – Innovation.
- Efficient use of MRM including substitution, reuse, recycling and use of by-products/waste of mining processes, tailings ponds waste and metallurgy waste. The aim is to ensure a rational management and minimization of all mining waste.
Read more: http://www.latomet.gr/ypan/Hypertrak/BinaryContent.aspx?pagenb=12091